Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Politics & What I'm Learning

Tonight has been a whirlwind in reagards to the political election. I feel like everywhere I turn, I'm facing some kind of slander towards one of the candidates. It's driving me up the wall. These were my thoughts on it today:




It's seriously gotten to the point where I just change the subject when politics comes up. It use to be something I thoroughly enjoyed discussing, but lately it's become a headache. It seems that everywhere I've turned, people are telling me who to vote for, and if I don't heed their warning, the nation will fall into great tumult and my family will suffer from baldness for generations and no one will talk to me at parties. 

I mean, I know I'm young (I'm only 20), but I'd like to think that I can make my own decisions in life. I'm taking some amazing, highly intelectual classes right now which are teaching me hw to analyze and understand the world around me. I mean, just today I spent 3 hours crafting a question for a literature class that takes evidence from the text and challenges the reader to explore a new idea represented in the text by analyzing the text. It was ROUGH, but this is what I finally came up with:

In "The Things They Carried", O'Brian mentions that the soldier's "burden of being alive" was that they "were afraid of dying, but even more afraid to show it" (18, 19). They refused to "submit to the obvious alternative", not for reasons of "courage" or "valor", but because they were "too frightened to be cowards"(21). To cope with this mask of bravery, they would distance themselves from death by "telling jokes", "speaking bitterly about those who found release" through injury, and referring to death in such a way "as if to encyst and destroy the reality of death itself" (19, 21). Contradictory to these actions, the soldiers would dream of their "weights falling off", and becoming "naked", "light", and "free" through the very actions they mocked (21). How does this outward dehumanization of death affect the weight and burdens the soldiers carry? How does it commentate on the idea of the dehumanizing effects of war, particularly the Vietnam War? 

Kind of cool, right? (UPDATE: That question got used in class as an example of a qell formatted question! Hard work pays off!) I also had the opportunity to use economics to explain a point I didn't fully agree with (and with out calling anyone a bad name!). 
Actually, anyone who's taken economics will know that outsourcing jobs can be beneficial to the Economy. It provides the menial labor at a lower wage cost and provides the highly educated with job expansion opportunities and higher wages. W
hile we may lose a little in the form of job loss or lower wages for those with a less formal education it's more than offset in the amount we gain from prices dropping. Lower prices= more consumption by the wealthy/middle class= stimulated and healthy economy. In fact, 90% of economists agree that the United States shouldn't restrict employers from outsourcing to other countries (fancy that. Don't believe me? Check it out: Richard M. Alston, J. R. Kearl, and Michael B. Vaughn, “Is There Consensus among Economists in the 1990s?” American Economic Review (May 1992): 203–209; Dan Fuller and Doris Geide-Stevenson, “Consensus among Economists Revisited,” Journal of Economics Education (Fall 2003): 369–387; Robert Whaples, “Do Economists Agree on Anything? Yes!” Economists' Voice (November 2006): 1–6; Robert Whaples, “The Policy Views of American Economic Association Members: The Results of a New Survey, Econ Journal Watch (September 2009): 337–348.)

What this really comes down to it the debate on Efficiency vs. Equality. Both are equally important in regards to the happiness and well-being of a society. What does our country need right now? Well, taking into consideration the 'economic crisis' we're facing, I'd say we're leaning towards being in serious need of some help in the 'Efficiency' department. Unfortunately, in order to become more efficient (which is what we want!) some people aren't going to get the same treatment as others. That's hard, and it sucks, but it's life and it's not fair.

That's where charity come into play. When was the last time we needed the government to tell us when to look out for our fellow man? I mean, seriously, is this what we've come to as Americans? If you want equality, go out there and start taking the steps necessary to create it. If you've been blessed with the opportunity to have all you needs and wants, go out there and give to someone who doesn't get that.

What this really is is a matter of selfishness among those that have been blessed with money. And don't you dare blame the 1% because they sure as hell are not the only one who withhold their money from helping others (sorry for the language).
Yeah. I wrote that. 

It felt AMAZING! I'm so grateful to attend this university where I can grow both spiritually and intellectually every day. I am blessed with a wonderful family who has taught me to value education, and wonderful friends who love and support me every step of the way. 

Little Face Mitt approves this message.

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to come back to this post. So here I am. :O)

    First, I have to say that you are an intelligent young lady and absolutely capable of making your own decisions. And if you feel good about the decision, they you have to accept it won't make everyone happy. Trust me, my family (not David) can't stand my political choices, but I just go on about my business. And when I am in the right mood, I enjoy my contrariness. lol

    I totally understand how you feel about politics. Did you know my degree is in Political Science? I have always loved politics. I was 10 when Ronald Reagan ran against Jimmy Carter and even then I was trying to convince my parents to vote for my candidate (only my dad listened lol). But the discourse in this country has steadily gone down hill in recent years. I feel like there is so little discussion of the issues and all we get is a constant barrage of personal attacks.

    And you are right, people are too quick to judge you because negatively cause you dare to disagree with them. That's why you rarely see my discuss politics on Facebook. I'm a Democrat in a Church filled with Republicans. Extremely conservative Republicans. I am a moderate. There are areas where I agree with Republicans, but I feel that the Democrats represent my beliefs more often. As I said earlier, sometimes it is fun to let people know you are a Democrat. Bro. Weitzel knew, but he was very much in to politics, so I knew he was joking when he would try to convince me to go Republican. It was fun. But I am afraid he is in the minority. So there are a few people in the ward that know I am a Democrat, but not many. What these people who would condemn me never bother to find out is that I don't vote party. I vote based on the candidate. So I vote for Republicans, Democrats and occasionally for a third party candidate. But too many people would judge me before they ever found out my political beliefs. And I already get that from my family. lol

    My point? Cause I think I might be way off in the bushes. Decide what you believe and then go forward from there. And if you know it will cause problems with certain people, there is no need to bring up your decisions. Politics is not the Gospel, we don't have to share it with everyone. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casi se me olvida. I have proof positive it is not a sin to be Democrat in the LDS church contrary to the opinion of some. First, did you know that when Utah wanted to become a state the Prophet, in the tabernacle, called members to be Democrats? Also, when President Faust served in the state senate in Utah he was a Democrat. And my last example, Larry Echo Hawk was called to the 70 in the last General Conference. He was a Democrat serving in President Obama's administration. Yep, it's not a sin to be a Democrat.

    ReplyDelete