Thursday, July 12, 2012

Throwback Thursday

I currently do not want to be writing an Accounting paper, so I'm doing this instead. I've decided to have some Thursdays dedicated to stories from my childhood and younger years since my life is legitimately hilarious (plus you can get to know me a little bit better). 

The story I want to start off with is probably my favorite story to tell. Seriously. I'm pretty sure I'll tell it to strangers on a bus if I get the chance. It took place in November of 1995, two months after my brother's birth and just a little after Halloween. I was only three. 

My mom was in the midst of bathing and caring for Mitchell and I was in the midst of jumping up and down around her asking for 'just one piece of candy'. It was an ingenious tactic, really, because after about 10 minutes of relentless nagging, she gave in. I made like Wonder Bread truck and hauled buns.

Then there was silence. It was the kind of silence that ebbs in ever so slowly, but then settles heavily across the house. It was the kind of silence that gives you away. She knew what was up. She had always known, from the moment I started nagging. She quietly finished dressing my brother and set him down for his name before venturing out into the house to find me.

When she did, I was standing infront of our living room window singing and dancing- a dead giveaway. 

"Bailey."

I flipped around so fast the Road Runner wouldn't have been able to keep up with me. She beckoned me towards her with her pointer finger and I shuffled across the living room floor in obedience. I came to a stop in front of her with both of my hands behind my back and head hung low in defeat. 

"Let me see you hands."

I held out one hand to reveal a single piece of candy. Maybe, just maybe she would forget about my other hand. 

"And you other hand."

Foiled, I showed her my other two pieces of candy. Thinking she was going to teach me a lesson, my mother said:

"I thought I told you that you could only have one piece of candy?"

As if straight out of a sitcom, without missing a beat I replied,

"But Mommy, when I eat these two pieces of candy, I will only have this one piece of candy."

Much hasn't changed since then. My mom said she immediately went and asked the Lord for help raising me. Figures, since I was probably the most difficult of the three of us to raise. 

That's all for this throwback. I'll leave ya'll with probably the cutest picture that will ever grace your sight:

That's me at Halloween a few years back.

1 comment: