Thursday, October 13, 2011

Gems of Knowledge

I love learning. There, I said it. Knowledge is power, right? This semester I am really enjoying my classes. Although the tests are hard and the papers are long and the homework is eternal, my mind is expanding with new concepts, facts, and thoughts. I thought I'd share a few of those gems I've found with you all:

  1. I've learned I have a love for Edgar Allen Poe, William Blake and Nathaniel Hawthorne. No really, if you haven't read their work, you need too. Especially Poe's 'The Philosophy of Composition'. I thought Poe was just some crazy whack-job who wrote about death, death, and more death, but he.... he is a freaking GENIUS. And Blake? He's pretty funny! Definitely the master of irony. Hawthorne is pretty dark, but he's got some good dark satirical stories like 'Young Goodman Brown'. I'm very happy with my choice of major and, lately, I've been considering Grad School as an option after this!
  2. I've taken the New Testament for granted. The life of Christ is amazing and I feel like I'm getting closer to him with my studies. My teacher does an amazing job of bring his life... to life. It all feels so real now, and where it use to just be a story, it's become real. Currently I'm in the midst of a project based on the good Samaritan parable. I can't wait to share that with you too!
  3. You can win money by writing... if you're good of course, and I think I'm pretty decent. I've currently decided to take on a Symposium where I get to write a 10-12 page paper on a religious topic of my choice (I'm still thinking of a subject, so don't hesitate to throw something my way!). If I win 1st place, I get $1,000. Even third place is $500. Plus, it's the opportunity to get published. How could would that be? What do I have to lose?
  4. I need to read more. Having anxiety, I have to figure out ways to give myself some relaxation time, and what better way than to read. It really helps my clear my mind out and helps my release tension in my body and escape the world around me. I haven't had time in the past, but now that I realize that it's important for me to relax sometimes, I've picked it up again. I'm going to try sharing the books I read with you all at Books For Dinner, my little reading blog (you can learn all about it on the site!) 
  5. People are rude. I work as a telemarketer and this is the hardest job I think I'll ever have. I mean it. I've never had to work so hard to hold my tongue when people give me lip. You all think you're funny giving us a hard time by answering the phone in some rude manner or teasing us by giving ridiculous answers to our questions, but really you're only making a fool of yourself. So the next time you get a call to take a 5, 10, or even 15 minute survey, just know you're making our job easier. And when you get angry about us calling during your dinner, remember, it's most likely our dinner time too, and we're skipping it so we can make some kind of living for ourselves. Just take the stupid survey, or if you don't have time right then, let them call you back, or even decline politely. We are people and have feelings and families and bills too. We are not out to get you. I promise. 

2 comments:

  1. Bailey are you working for Western Wats? I'm just wondering cause I worked there for a semester when I was at BYU and that's what I did. (But early in the morning, so I called businesses.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I work at BRG. It's another one just a few blocks from my house.

    ReplyDelete