Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Ice Ice Baby,

WARNING: This story is a little graphic, so just be careful :)
I don't want anyone throwing up or something.


Okay, funny story.

This morning I was walking down my apartment stairs and there was snow covering them. On the last step down, there was ice underneath the powder and I lost my footing and fell down. As my butt hit the steps and I slid, my left elbow came down hard [and I mean hard] on the icy cement with a CRACK!

I quickly stood up and check to see if I could still move it- everything was fine. I didn't really think much of the accident as I picked my things up, figuring I'd just have this huge bruise. Once everything was off the ground, I began walking to school, but I couldn't shake off the throbbing sensation and the thought to check my elbow.

I reached a stoplight, pulled up my jacket sleeve and attempted to look at my elbow. All I could see was red smears on my forearm. My heart dropped and my pulse quickened, but I pressed onward to school. I had no idea what to do with all the blood!!

Half way to school, I SLIPPED AGAIN, but luckily wasn't hurt. Some super sweet guy helped me up, and I turned bright red because I think him and the other girl behind me heard the little word that slipped out as I feel. Anyways, the guy was kind enough to carry all my things to my class for me so I could check on my elbow without the bother of bags, etc.

This time, I got a pretty decent look. I could see ripped skin and a glob of blood. I tried to focus on what the guy carrying my stuff was saying so I didn't freak out and faint. As soon as we reached my class, I ran to the professor and flashed him the war wound, inquiring where I could find some type of first aid.

His eyes got huge and he had to look away quickly, which only made me more nervous. He told me I could probably find some downstairs, so downstairs I rushed, finding only one girl who sat behind on of the desks.

I asked her for help and she stared, bug-eyed at my fleshy wound. Quickly she pulled out the first aid and handed me the essentials: gauze, alcohol pad, gauze tape, and pointed me towards the bathroom. There, I held my elbow under warm water, holding back screams of pain. When the blood was gone, I took a real good look at in the mirror.

It was disgusting. The cut wasn't deep enough to see bone, but it was freaking deep. My skin was folded back and you could see the white, fleshy dermis underneath. I panicked and resorted to taking deep breaths as I traveled back to the desk to see if maybe she thought I'd need stitches.

She had NO idea, and neither did I, so we did the next logical thing- call the on campus EMTs. Like, SIX of them came. On police officer, and four trained EMTs. One observed, one wrote information down, one bandaged me up and one handed her the bandages before taking my vitals. It was insane! I just wanted to know if I had to go to the hospital so I could inform my mom and professor!!

The lady at the desk looked at the EMTs and asked if they got called out a lot. Obviously not is all five of them came.

Turns out I don't need stitches, but I sure am in a HECK of a lot of pain. I'm going to have to switch gauze soon.

I hate ice.

1 comment: